Wednesday, March 19, 2008

once, the movie

Of late, my Netflix choices have been bitter disappointments. So I moved a few of the higher rated ones to the top and was pleasantly surprised by this amazingly beautiful and simple film. A musical, technically and in the truest sense, it revolves around an Irish street musician who meets, writes, plays, and records with a Czech immigrant street urchin. The songs were written by the actors who had collaborated briefly before the film. The scenes are long and shot without cuts and the one song where she (the characters are unnamed) just walks home singing her lyrics to his music was beyond perfect. There is nothing more brilliant that being surprised by a movie. because it happens so little these days. I have since bought both the DVD and the soundtrack. Make sure it is added to your list.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched it the other night. A friend lent me the DVD saying I have to see it because it's about a street performer and I'm a street performer myself. As the movie progressed it drew me more and more into it. Great movie.

    All the best,

    Saw Lady
    www.SawLady.com/blog

    ReplyDelete