Saturday, March 29, 2008

bluebonnets

By far, my favorite season is winter. I love the cold and the snow. And there is no comparison to fall in the northeast with its colorful leaves. I always enjoyed spring, too, in North Carolina with the wildflowers that bloomed among the highways. Well, there is no winter in Texas and fall is just a immeasurable time between summer and the cooler climates. Spring, though, is definitely growing on me. The weather is still slightly cool and the humidity not quite reaching summer highs. The winds pick up and I can open my windows to catch the breeze though I think I am finally developing those 'Texas allergies'. Add to that the bluebonnets, the state flower of Texas. Their seeds were spread along the highways of Texas by Ladybird Johnson in the mid 1960's and have since returned every spring. They start as little bits of violet in the grass and then become a blanket of blue. Here is one picture along the drive I make to work everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment