Sunday, March 16, 2008

en français

I am starting the fifth Harry Potter book in French this week. What a joy to read these in a different language, especially one that takes great care and pride in translation. I am reading it with my professor who is a long time fan of the books and a new reader. It is like reading them for the first time all over again. First, because the names are structured from the meaning of the English original and I have to learn so much vocabulary just to get through a page. Second, because the new reader does not know nor want to know anything. It is so difficult for me to keep my mouth shut but so fun to think of all the clues we pick up on as we read. It is amazing that these books still give me so much pleasure.

The final book was just released in French and I have yet to buy it because of the expense. I can only imagine waiting that long to read it in your own language.

No comments:

Post a Comment