Sunday, April 20, 2008

"I'm ... weak" says Naruto

My my, Naruto Shippūden is a treasure to behold. Not only a creative phenomenon but a classy one at that. The first episode is so amazing, Naruto and team frantically searching for Sasuke only to find he is way more powerful and just as resigned to his future as ever. Then we learn that is a flash forward. It takes 50 episodes to reach that moment, 50 fantastic episodes full of action, treason and more Naruto determination. He has come such a long way and in episode 51 when he finally finds Sasuke, he is treated like dirt by the one person he most wants to change. Sasuke is impressive and cold, bent on killing his brother and not caring one iota that Naruto and Sakura have spent the past three years looking for him. It was incredibly heart breaking. In the end, Sasuke left and Naruto collapses, an overwhelming grief stricken expression on his face, crying, claiming that he failed yet again to bring Sasuke back and that he is weak. A tear jerker of an episode and represents the calibre of anime that this show has become. I laugh at the dramatic moments, those slow moving camera movements that takes 10 minutes just to pan up to the face of the character you have been waiting to see, the cuts back and forth of the faces and his impact but in fact, I relish every second. My heart stutters with anticipation because it gets better and better.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. I have to say I am not as much a fan of the ridiculously slow pans, but the drama was indeed intense. That arc ending I thought was really great, it really did leave you with the "classic" Naruto feeling of isolation vs personal ambition...all fueled by friendship (or the prospect of friendship).

    The thing I found the most surprising and intriguing was how Sasuke could enter Naruto and meet the Kyuubi face to face. I don't know if you've watched a little further, but I have a feeling the Sharingan will come into play much more in the next arc.

    ReplyDelete