Tuesday, August 25, 2009

prounce it oo-boon-too

Speaking of gadgets, my next purchase is going to be a netbook. But because I work for a company who is entering the market with ARM and Linux support, I decided to reduce the cost by going the non-Microsoft route. But before I can do that, I have to make sure I can do everything I want on it. Enter Ubuntu, the easiest to install and fastest up and running Linux operating systems out there. It does everything for you so that with failure to like, you can still go back to that Microsoft machine. But you will like it. It is fast, secure, customizable, and has all that you need in clean, simple formats including productivity, web, music, video, and imaging. Of course, you have to learn a little unix but that is the fun part. The biggest issues I had were setting up the network, not getting my wireless to work but just getting it to see all the other wireless items on my network. The other issue was financial software. This is the only actual software that I use that is not online and I worried that I would have to stick with Quicken. Well, I found kmymoney2 which does all that Quicken does with a pretty easy learning curve. I am still ironing out the issues but so far, I find it a viable replacement. So long Microsoft.

No comments:

Post a Comment