Friday, February 29, 2008

12 Angry Men

I came home, exhausted from sickness and playing catch up all week to find a classic on Turner Classic Movies. 12 Angry Men was on my must see movie list and now that I have finally watched it I find it difficult to explain my amazed impression. A clean, simple, black and white film centering on 12 men in a room debating the innocence or guilt of one boy. The performances were natural, each man getting up and moving around, the nervous energy waifing off the screen. Fonda used his steely eyed grace to try and convince the men but only convinced me that there was no one better chosen for the role. The weather was its own character moving from sweaty tension to a release of rain. They say they don't make them like they used to and this is the one that fits that rule. A character piece, and simple plot, and yet a winner in every respect. Thank goodness I can scratch it off my list but it is a proud moment that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment