Tuesday, October 20, 2009

on repeat: Secret Garden

"Mary Lennox, for as long as you will have us, we are yours, Colin and I, and this is your home, and this, my lovely child, is your garden!" ~ Archibald Craven, The Secret Garden, winner of the 1991 Tony Award for Best Musical plus five other Tonys.

Oh, my brother is really going to hate this one. I fell in love with this broadway show when I first saw it in 1992 in New York City. The enchanting story and the harmonious score combined with the amazing voices of Mandy Patinkin and Rebecca Luker as Archibald and Lily are the perfect fit for one of my favorite childhood novels. After hearing and seeing it only once, I begged a friend to make me a copy on two cassettes which I played endlessly to its utter demise. I continue to play The Secret Garden on roadtrips or whenever I become depressed. It is such a lovely tale with such a great ending that it never fails to pick me up. With the most recent purchase to replace a former scratched CD, it has been on constant play in my car. My only regret is that I have only seen this show once. Frequently checked online, the show never seems to be playing near me. Hopefully, I shall see it again.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, it's a very great blog.
    I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
    Keep doing!

    ReplyDelete