Sunday, June 08, 2008

what to read

While my Harry Potter in French continues, sometimes I need a break. But it is always a question of what to read. I enjoy children's literature, Harry Potter being a prime example but I also adored Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. I've read His Dark Materials and was thinking of rereading Anne of Green Gables since it is the 100th anniversary. But I did some research to find out what experts, or so called experts, think is the next Harry Potter. Two series popped up. The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer and Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan.

First, Twilight. A teen vampire love story. That about sums up the extent of it all. Now, it takes quite a bit for me to start something, a book, a movie, whatever and then stop. I have to know the end whether cheating and and reading the end or finishing the book in its entirety. But this, I just could not continue. It is really quite boring and not as intriguing as it sounds. A teenage girl, love at first sight, and the drone of her lovelorn desire to give up everything for the vampire that she loves. This is not the kind of story that I wanted. I wanted plot, details, and characters that draw me not push me away. It is too bad, I could use a good love story.

On the other hand, The Olympians series is intriguing. With other worldly qualities, Percy enters his adulthood as the son of a Greek God. Action and character growth, finally some fun with a sense of humor. It is still not Harry Potter but it engaged me enough for me to finish the first book and want to get the next. The series was actually referred to me by a friend at work as his son loves it enough to get the author's autograph (Rick Riordan is from nearby San Antonio, TX). I could not pass up a referral from a nine year old.

Both of these will hold me for a while but next up is the New Jedi Order series which proves to be a chore to read knowing what happens to some pretty important characters. Still, its Star Wars and hard for me to resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment