Monday, May 19, 2008

How do you say airbender in French?

In learning a language it is necessary to have both written and audial exercises. To practice my French, I have been listening to Harry Potter and some podcasts on the web. As much as I love Harry, I have been absorbed in his story for ten years now. And the podcasts, while interesting, just do not keep me that interested.

Providentially, I was watching my "Avatar: The Last Airbender" DVD sets, listening to commentaries and savoring the art and story that never ceases to amaze me. While doing this, I found that the series is dubbed in French and the voices are fantastic, very close to the originals. Furthermore, they match the animation closely which is interesting given that the English is recorded prior to the animation. This means the French was probably ADR and the voice actors did a great job of it. Now I have something to keep me interested and get lots of French exposure. Incidentally, "Firefly" is also dubbed in French.

FYI, the last airbender translates to le dernier maƮtre de l'air in French.

No comments:

Post a Comment