Wednesday, December 06, 2006

"Enter our hearts and make us fly...

My family has several holiday traditions. From food to gifts, on Christmas eve and Christmas day. It is a wondrous time full of family and memories. However, I have several personal holiday traditions too. Of course, they involve movies and music. Each season, I watch a list of movies with White Christmas the first and foremost. Then it is Miracle on 34th Street (black and white version only) and The Muppet Christmas Carol. On the animation side of things, I have to watch Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, which is actually a combination of claymation and digital animation and 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, a silly little cartoon about a mouse and a clock tower and I watch it mostly for its ending song.

Along with the usual spout of Christmas music, I have to listen to "The Nutcracker" a couple of times and cassette version of The Cabbage Patch Kid Christmas, something you can not find in stores anymore. Then it is on to The Muppet Christmas Carol soundtrack and John Williams' glorious score to Home Alone. In this score riddled with holiday favorites, Williams makes my year every year with "Star of Bethlehem", a lovely song with lyrics by Leslie Bricusse and sung by a children's chorus. To me, Christmas is not Christmas without repeating this song several times over and feeling the special emotions it evokes in me.

Lyrics to "Star of Bethlehem"

No comments:

Post a Comment